As you might have seen, Debian 5.0, codenamed Lenny, has been released a couple of weeks ago.
Lenny is a long-awaited update to Debian, almost 2 years after the release of Debian Etch. Lenny brings support for java (through OpenJDK Java Runtime), netbook support (Eee PC), i18n localization (UTF-8 support), amongst 7700 new packages, and 13400 updated backpages.
After hardware and software testing for potential compatibility issues, iWeb is now provisioning Debian Lenny on new dedicated servers, and new OS installs/re-installs.
Here are the new versions of software coming with Debian 5.0 that you might be interested in:
- kernel 2.6.26
- apache 2.2.9
- bind DNS Server v 9.50
- GNU compiler 4.3.2
- GNU C library 2.7
- lightppd 1.4.19
- MySQL 5.0.51a
- OpenSSH 5.1p1
- php 5.2.6
- Postfix MTA 2.5.5
- PostgreSQL 8.3.5
- Python 2.5.2
- Tomcat 5.526
In this new distribution, Debian stays true to its roots and philosophy: rock-solid distribution, very strict quality standards and policies, and exhaustive testing which makes it an ideal Linux distrubution for production web servers.
For those who use Debian, you can follow those simple instructions to upgrade to Debian 5.0 (Note: do think twice about potential problems, incompatibilities, and major system installs if you wish to upgrade)
Terms & Conditions
- Applies to hardware iWeb's Montreal data centers only (not software licenses or other services)
- Excludes Intel E3v3, Intel E5v2, Intel Core i3 Core2 Quad or clearance servers
- Promotion applicable to new servers only - cannot be used to replace an existing iWeb server
- Please note that the discount will not appear in the order process but it will be applied after 72 hours
- Cannot be combined with other special offers, promotions or discounts
- Promotion valid until 23:59 January 31, 2015
No comments yet.